Recovering Compensation After A Car Accident
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for individuals age 5 to 34 and the cause of millions of injuries each year.
If you or someone you love was one of this year’s car wreck victims, turn to the Indiana law firm of Matthew D. Barrett, P.C. Our Logansport car accident attorney has represented numerous personal injury clients through the years and obtained significant verdicts and settlements. If your accident was caused by the negligence of another person, we will help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Experienced In All Types Of Motor Vehicle Crashes
Our law firm handles the full spectrum of auto accidents, from fender benders to catastrophic crashes. Such cases may include:
Just because you consult attorney Barrett, it does not mean that you must automatically file a lawsuit. In many cases, we are able to settle with the insurance company outside of court. If the amount you are being offered is unreasonable, however, we are fully prepared to go to trial on your behalf.
10 Steps To Take After A Car Accident
- Stay calm. Try taking a few deep breaths before you do anything else.
- Keep yourself and others safe. Only get out of your vehicle if it is safe to do so. If it is not, turn on the vehicle’s hazard lights and move it out of traffic, if possible.
- Call 911 and explain the situation, your location and any injuries at the scene. Wait for help to arrive.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including name, address, phone number, insurance policy information, driver’s license number and license plate number.
- Gather evidence, which can include taking photos of the scene with your phone’s camera and writing down the contact information of any witnesses.
- File an accident report, if law enforcement has not already done so.
- Do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company, because any information you give will likely be used to build a case against you.
- Do not accept a settlement from your own insurance company without consulting a lawyer. Often, the settlement offered is not the full amount you may deserve to cover the cost of your injuries and losses.
- Contact Matthew D. Barrett, P.C., for a free initial consultation. We will advise you about your legal rights and options for recovering full and fair compensation.
- Deal with the stress. If you find yourself experiencing a continuing sense of anxiety, fear, guilt or other emotional problems after the accident, turn to a skilled counselor, doctor or psychologist.
Free Consultation With Our Kokomo Auto Injury Attorney
To schedule a free initial consultation, call the Logansport office of Matthew D. Barrett, P.C., at 574-516-6188 or toll free at 800-523-5099. You can also contact us online. Because we charge contingency fees, you owe us nothing unless we recover money for you.