Fighting To Recover Compensation For You After A Car Accident
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for individuals aged between five to 34 and the cause of millions of injuries each year.
If you or someone you love was one of this year’s car wreck victims, turn to the Indiana law firm of Matthew D. Barrett, P.C. Attorney at Law I’m the firm’s founding attorney, Matthew Barret. Based in Logansport, I’ve represented numerous personal injury clients through the years and obtained significant verdicts and settlements. If your accident was caused by the negligence of another person, I can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Experienced In All Types Of Motor Vehicle Crashes
I handle the full spectrum of auto accidents, from fender benders to catastrophic crashes. Such cases may include:
After an accident, you don’t automatically need to file a lawsuit. In many cases, I am able to settle with the insurance company outside of court, avoiding the stress and expense of litigation. If the amount you are being offered is unreasonable, however, I am fully prepared to go to trial on your behalf.
10 Steps To Take After A Car Accident
- Stay calm. Try taking a few deep breaths before you do anything else.
- Keep yourself and others safe. Only get out of your vehicle if it is safe to do so. If it is not, turn on the vehicle’s hazard lights and move it out of traffic, if possible.
- Call 911 and explain the situation, your location and any injuries at the scene. Wait for help to arrive.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including name, address, phone number, insurance policy information, driver’s license number and license plate number.
- Gather evidence, which can include taking photos of the scene with your phone’s camera and writing down the contact information of any witnesses.
- File an accident report, if law enforcement has not already done so.
- Do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company, because any information you give will likely be used to build a case against you.
- Do not accept a settlement from your own insurance company without consulting a lawyer. Often, the settlement offered is not the full amount you may deserve to cover the cost of your injuries and losses.
- Contact Matthew D. Barrett, P.C. Attorney at Law, for a free initial consultation. I will advise you about your legal rights and options for recovering full and fair compensation.
- Deal with the stress. If you find yourself experiencing a continuing sense of anxiety, fear, guilt or other emotional problems after the accident, turn to a skilled counselor, doctor or psychologist.
Why You Need A Lawyer To Deal With The Insurance Company After A Crash
One mistake many people make after an auto accident is trying to deal with the insurance company on their own. You pay monthly premiums for auto insurance, so it’s reasonable to think that your insurance would come through for you when you need it most.
Unfortunately, that isn’t often the case. The insurance company is looking out for its own financial interests, not yours. They may use sneaky tactics to:
- Pressure you into making a statement that could undermine your case later
- Misinterpret ambiguous policy provisions and exclusions in a way that disadvantages you
- Push you toward an early lowball settlement that may amount to far less than what your case is worth
- Impose unreasonable delays or denials
You don’t want to end up with a payout that’s far less than what you deserve. When you enlist my help, I will deal with the insurance company on your behalf, advocating for your interests each step of the way. I used to work in insurance defense, so I understand how the other side thinks. I understand their tactics, which means I can effectively counter their strategies to help you get the full amount of compensation you deserve.
Let’s Talk About Your Rights After An Auto Accident
The sooner you reach out, the faster I can get to work in preparing a strong case on your behalf. To schedule a free initial consultation, call me at 574-516-6188 or toll-free at 800-523-5099. You can also contact me online. Because I handle these cases on a contingency fee basis, you won’t have to pay me anything unless I recover compensation for you.